Top 10 College Sports Movies Of All-Time
10. The Air Up There – You can’t go wrong with Kevin Bacon. Plus this movie might have the single greatest athletic move in sports film history in it…The Jimmy Dolan Shake & Bake. The only thing better than that move is the “Triple-Deke“ from The Mighty Ducks.
9. The Sixth Man - This is classic Marlon Waynes, before he started acting all gay and doing movies with his unfunny brother Sean all the time.
8. Higher Learning – This is like a PG-13 version of American History X with a little bit of college sports mixed in there. It’s not only one of the best college sports movie out there, but one of the best college movies.
7. Above The Rim - I know the story mostly takes place in high school, but it’s all about how recruiting works and the last scene is Kyle Watson hitting the last second jumper for Georgetown in the corner…so it’s a college sports film in my book. Plus Tupac was great in this one.
6. He Got Game - Spike Lee, Denzel, Ray Allen. Have I already said enough. The recruiting trip scene in the movie, where he meets with the “assistant coaches” makes it good enough to be ranked number one, instead it’s six.
5. Blue Chips – This movie had the most all-star cast out of all of them. Shaq. Penny Hardaway back when he was actually still good before the injuries. You had cheating, good basketball scenes, and Nick Nolte acting his ass off. Great f-cking movie.
4. The WaterBoy – If there ever was a sports equivalent to Dumb & Dumber it would be the WaterBoy. Just a classic comedy. To me Bobby Boucher put Adam Sandler on the Hollywood A-List.
3. The Program – This movie is the closest a college sports film has actually gotten to capturing what college is really like. The parties, the drinking, the crazyness. I wish there was a part II.
2. Hoop Dreams - Some say this is the best sports movie of all-time and it damn sure is the best documentary I ever saw, way better than the Michael Moore pieces of crap….I can’t stand his voice. This movie is as real as it can get.
1. Rudy - Did you really think any other movie would be number one. I done seen this movie make grown man cry when Rudy gets the sack at the end. Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Who’s the wild man now! This film will never be duplicated or topped, it is simply the greatest.